Sukhwinder Singer is one of the most famous and versatile singers of Bollywood. He hails from hathi gate from Amritsar, Punjab. He is one the versatile singers of Bollywood industry who has given many beautiful songs like Jai Ho – Slumdog Millionaire and Chak De India! – Chak De India.
Sukhwinder Singh developed interest in music when he was mere 4 years old and at the age of 8 he gave his first performance on stage for the song Sa Re Ga Ma Pa from 1970 film Abhinetri.
After singing on the stage for the Bollywood film mentioned above people started to like his voice and music, Sukhwider Singh also tried his luck for a Punjabi music which was also a hit song after the release Munda South Hall Da
Alongside Laxmikant – Pyaarelal’s Troupe after this song was released he headed to south India in search of more music projects. Sukhwinder Singh had sang for a Tamil film Ratchagan.
Where the music was directed by the legendary A.R Rahman and there is where A R Rahman found Sukhwinder’s voice very intimidating and beautiful and crisp.
Sukhwinder Singh got his first Bollywood break in the blockbuster patriotic movie Karma in which he sang a few lines. Then, he sang the hit song “Aaja Sanam” in a film named Khilaaf.
But he realized that something was missing in his voice, so he took a sabbatical and left Mumbai to tour England and America to see, hear, and understand various forms of music. After this broadening of his musical horizons, he returned to Mumbai to kick-start his musical career.
After returning back from his international tour of learning music Sukhwinder Singh again tried to enter Bollywood and he got his first project for the film Aaja Sanam which went unnoticed even when the Legendary Music duo Laxmikant – Pyarelal names were included.
Sukhwinder did not lose hope and still tried hi level hard to try his luck in the Bollywood, one day he got a call from the legendary Music Composer A.R Rahman he had signed Sukhwinder singh for the movie Dil Se… For the most famous song “Chaiyya Chaiyya”.
After the grand success of Chaiyya Chaiyya Sukhwinder Singh was noticed by everyone in the industry and he got many offers from the Bollywood Industry for the movies like –
- Taal, Biwi No.1
- 1947: Earth
- Daag: The Fire
- Jaanwar, Dillagi
- Tere Naam
- Apna Sapna Money Money
- Shaadi Se Pehle
- Chak De! India
- Om Shanti Om
- Black & White — have given him a nationwide recognition.
Sukhwinder singh has got many acclamation for singing playback songs for the Superstar Shah Rukh Khan for more than songs like –
- Dard-E-Disco (Om Shanti Om)
- Haule Haule (Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi)
- Marjaani (Billu)
- Satakali (Happy New Year)
- Udi Udi Jaye (Raees)
And also he had given his voice for many super star actors like Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan, Arjun Rampal, Anil Kapoor and many more. Sukhwinder Singh had also participated on in a dancing reality show Jhalak Dikhla Jaa which was judged by Remo Dsouza, Madhuri Dixit and Karan Johar. He did not win the competition but he had gain recognition throughout the country
- Gulzar – Dil see.., Khoobsurat, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom, Office Office, Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola, Kaminey, Just Married, No Smoking, and Rangoon Madari.
- A.R Rahman – Dil Se… – 1998, 1947 Earth – 1998, Doli Saja Ke Rakhna – 1998, Taal – 1999, Thakshak – 1999, Zubeidaa – 2000, One 2 Ka 4 – 2001, Lagaan – 2001, The Legend of Bhagat Singh – 2002, Tehzeeb – 2003, Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities – 2004 and Bombay Dreams- 2004
- Vishal Bhardwaj – Ramji Londonwale 2005, The Blue Umbrella 2005, Omkara – 2006, No Smoking 2007, Kaminey 2009, Ishqiya 2010, Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola 2013, Dedh Ishqiya 2014, Haider 2014.
- Vishal – Shekhar – Om Shanti Om 2007 Tashan 2008 Bhoothnath 2008 Tees Maar Khan 2010 Ra.One 2011 Kahaani 2012 Arjun: The Warrior Prince 2012 Gippi 2013 Gori Tere Pyaar Mein 2013 Happy New Year 2014 Sultan 2016
- Salim – Sulaiman – Aaja Nachle 2007 Chak De! India 2007 Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi 2008 Fashion 2008 Kurbaan 2009 Luck 2009 Band Baaja Baaraat 2010 Chakravyuh 2012 Kaanchi: The Unbreakable 2014
Awards and Recognitions
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Award – Dil Se… (Chhaiya Chhaiya)
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Award – Haule haule (Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi)
- National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer – Haider (Vishal Bhardwaj)
- Golden Sparrow Award – 1st Diorama International Film Festival & Market – Kar har Maidan Fateh – (Sanju).